Friday, January 20, 2012

Baby mama drama

Well l went to my doctor appointment yesterday and I thought it was going to be just a boring, run of the mill appointment. Boy was I wrong. I got my vitals taken and to my surprise my blood pressure was high. So I told the nurse and asked her to take it again, she obliged and when it was taken the second time it was only a a little lower, not enough to be significant. When I actually saw my doctor she was a little concerned and said she would check it once more at the end of my appointment. I looked nervously to my husband who took my hand and gave me looks of comfort and support.
We listened to the baby's heartbeat, which was nice and strong at 143, and then I was checked for dilation. I prepared myself for that "invasion" and expected to hear that I'm not dilated. However to both mine and my husband's surprise, my doctor said I was 2 cm dilated. She moved on to check my blood pressure and was not happy with the results. My blood pressure was high so she ordered "the works" at the lab for me (pee in a cup, and a few vials of blood, plus a 24 hour urine collection *sigh*). The doctor told me that because of my symptoms she needed to know if it was preeclampsia or gestational hypertension that was causing this, either way she wasn't panicked, but she wasn't thrilled either. She told me that either way she should want me to have the baby sometime next week!!! (Ahhh!!)
After I completed my appointment I was sent to the lab for them to steal my fluids. After the labs I was sent up to Labor & Delivery to have my blood pressure monitored.

I was hooked up to a machine that monitored my BP, baby's heart rate, and contractions. I was monitored up in L&D for over an hour and had my blood pressure go down to a level that everyone was comfortable with, and the labs were normal, so I was sent home. Currently I am doing the 24 hour preeclampsia test, and will turn it in tomorrow to await my results on Monday. My next appointment is Tuesday and we will more than likely have more information and possibly have an induction date to meet our first baby. :D
So much for a regular day at the hospital, 5 hours was enough for me for one week. Hopefully I can update y'all with good news early next week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how I'm doing :)